So being pregnant, I’m desperately trying to avoid stretch marks. So far, so good, but I wanted to amp up my strategy. Also – being dry skin season, my husband has been suffering from an exacerbation of his dry skin.
In light of all this – I began doing some research and taking inventory of what I have available at home to use today:
- African Red Palm Oil – I’ve had this jar lying around since graduating aromatherapy school and I wasn’t quite sure to do with it. It turned out to be the perfect thing I needed! Red palm oil is extremely rich in beta-carotene (think carrots!), but more importantly, it’s extremely high in Tocopherols and Tocotrienols -which make it an excellent source of Vitamin E. Vitamin E does wonders when applied topically to the skin. Also, one serving of Red Palm Oil has 170% of your daily needs of vitamin A. Since skin absorbs so much of what we put on it, much of these amazing vitamins are absorbed. African Red Palm Oil is known to soothe eczema and psoriasis.
- Raw Organic Shea Butter – Do I even have to say it? We’ve all heard what an awesome moisturizer. It’s super important to use raw, unprocessed Shea butter as it loses much of its nutrients during processing. Shea butter is also very high in vitamins E and A. Shea butter also gives a wonderful consistency to any mixture.
- Organic Avocado Oil – This oil is unique in that it helps blends penetrate into the skin. It is deeply moisturizing and hydrating to skin and helps improve skin’s natural elasticity (which helps prevent stretch marks!). Avocado oil also helps prevent regeneration to skin cells, which means it will help to lessen existing scars, blemishes, or stretch marks.
- Organic Beeswax – Beeswax binds all the ingredients together, plus is antimicrobial so that blends do stay pure. Beeswax also acts as an emollient – meaning that it draws moisture to the skin and helps create a barrier so that moisture stays in and the cream does not wash off easily.
- Essential Oils- It’s tough being pregnant! I wanted to create a scent that was sweet and not too earthy, but also something that did the job. So here’s why I chose what I chose:
- Sandalwood – moisturizing and skin healing. It also has a very warm, woody aroma that is the perfect base.
- Sweet Orange – this sweet oil brings freshness to the blend. Orange oil helps the blend to penetrate the skin, stimulates circulation of blood and oxygen to the area, and uplifts mood.
- Neroli – also a citrus scent, Neroli helps to heal scars, regenerate skin cells, and supports skin to heal.
- Roman Chamomile – last, but certainly not least, Roman Chamomile is a herbaceous scent that strengthens skin and restores vitality. It also alleviates inflammation in skin.
The finished product:
The Red Palm Oil gives this blend an awesome orange color. It also smells delicious! Not too earthy, not too citrusy. Just perfect. I’m really pleased with the scent.
I think I may have put a little to much beeswax in as this blend is kind of tough. The next time I make it, I will be sure to add less beeswax or more oils. In light of this, I think I will end up gifting this batch and will sell the next. Plus, I want to see how well it works for us in case I’d like to tweak the recipe.