Cold sores… not really something we love to talk about, let alone have on our skin. They can be quite problematic and all of us try to get rid of them ASAP.
I saw a pin on Pinterest the other day for a cold sore remedy (originally shared by Rebecca’s Soap Delicatessen).
I was a little skeptical about the essential oils and oils used in the blend, so I decided to do my own research and found the recipe to be really accurate! After a few tweaks, I think I found a recipe that I am content with and that I’d love to share with you.
Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus. Not to gross you out or anything, but this virus is generally transmitted by a break in your skin contacting another cold sore or infected fluid (most commonly by kissing someone with a cold sore) Anytime you use a lip gloss, chap stick, toothbrush, cup, or other item that has come in contact with the virus, you are likely to get a cold sore. This means that you should be diligent – when you get a cold sore – throw away any cosmetic that may have contacted the cold sore and make sure to wash all items that have contacted the sore thoroughly.
To heal the cold sore more quickly, try applying this balm 2-3 times a day.
- Tea Tree (10 Drops)- Stimulates white blood cells, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory (used by many to heal cuts and abrasions)
- Lavender (5 Drops)- Relieves pain, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, cicatrisant, skin healing (amazing for skin, helps to prevent scaring)
- Peppermint (8 Drops)- Relieves pain, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, cooling (great to relieve discomfort caused by cold sores)
- Geranium (4 Drops) – Anti-inflammatory, skin healing, cicatrisant. Valerie Wormwood (The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy) recommends using Geranium for cold sores.
- Beeswax (0.25 oz) – antibacterial, anti-inflammatory. Beeswax coats the lips and provides a barrier.
- Vitamin E (1 Capsule) – heals and repairs skin. Vitamin E Oil is hailed for its exemplary role in skin care.
- Coconut Oil (0.4oz) – I have so much to say about coconut oil- I already did a blog post about it. Check it out here
- Sweet Almond Oil (0.1 oz)- softens and smooths skin, helps to heal rashes and irritations
- Melt all base oils on double boiler
- Once all are liquid, remove from heat
- Add in essential oils
- Pour into tins. (this recipe will fill approx. two 1 oz. tins)
- Apply 2-3 times per day, especially at night
Like this post? Try our Natural Athlete’s Foot Remedy
Need the supplies? Here’s a shopping list for you! (from Amazon.com) (aff. links)