As you know from all of the commercials and products on the market – Acne affects both adolescents and adults alike. It can be a very embarrassing and even painful chronic condition. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, acne affects nearly 85% of the population at least once in their lifetime.
Acne is caused by three main factors:
- Overproduction of oil by enlarged oil glands in the skin.
- Blockage of the hair follicles that release oil.
- Growth of bacteria, called P. acnes, within the hair follicles. (AAD)
Even after acne is gone, it can leave behind scars and dark spots that are tough to cover up and even tougher to get rid of.
Tea Tree and Rosemary Acne Treatment
- Distilled Vinegar – 1 mL (approx. 20 drops)
- Vinegar contains a high percentage of Acetic Acid, which is effective for cleaning 99.9% of bacteria from skin (“White Vinegar for Acne“)
- Rosemary Essential Oil – .5 mL (approx 10 drops) (Find Rosemary Essential Oil Here)
- Rosemary EO has been proven to reduce the size and redness of acne pimples in several clinical trials. This trial in particular indicated that Rosemary EO effectively reduced both size and shape of acne pimples in just 8 hours! (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17893831)
- Tea Tree Essential Oil – .25 mL (approx 5 drops) (Find Tea Tree Oil here)
- Tea Tree EO is not only antibacterial, but also an excellent cleaner. Another study has indicated that solutions containing at least 5% Tea Tree EO are an effective treatment for mild to moderate Acne (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17314442)
- In a 5 mL amber bottle (or in a sterile syringe) combine distilled vinegar, Rosemary EO, and Tea Tree EO – (I used a sterile syringe to draw everything up, just because it was much easier to measure that way)
- Shake up the blend before each use (Vinegar and oil do not mix well and separate quickly)
- Put 3-4 drops of the blend on the end of a Q-tip or cotton ball
- Apply to the affected areas – this blend will dry out all other skin, so make sure to only apply to raised acne pimples.