Okay, so I haven’t given a “Wise Wife”ism in quite a while. So just sit back, grab a cup of locally sourced coffee or tea and have a listen.
I’m working on building a small business… and it is hard. I love what I do and the freedom it gives me, but people underestimate how difficult it is to craft a product that works and is cost effective. It takes time, planning, and many tries to get a product that I feel confident to sell. I want everything to be the absolute best because I feel that is what my customer’s deserve.
However, I also realize that it is much easier to go to a chain supermarket and buy something “organic” or seemingly handcrafted. It saves time, money, and makes you feel like you have something “unique.”
But let me tell you- if a product has made it to a chain market, it has either been bought out by a larger corporation or is manufactured in large quantities. Now that’s not necessarily a bad thing if you don’t have access to anything better.
This I want to give a shout out to some of the amazing small businesses that I have been blessed to know. If I missed you, add your business in the comments section and I will be glad to add you to my list!
- Best Friends, Bubbles, and Biscuits
- This awesome lady transforms dogs into beauty queens/kings! She posts some amazing before and after pictures that attest to her amazing work.
- Green Grandma
- While she’s not a business, Green Grandma is a wonderful supporter of them. Not only do I love her book, “Vinegar Fridays”, but I love to read her blog as well. She’s a great source of information and she posts some great giveaways too.
- Heritage Hospice
- You will never meet a better group of people than the ones who work at Heritage Hospice. Needing hospice care for a loved one is an extremely difficult time, but these compassionate souls help guide families through. Plus, they are extremely involved in our local communities
- Homemade Goodies by Leah
- Leah is extremely crafty! From jewelry to kitchen towels, she makes it all.
- Le Cafe
- This is our favorite breakfast joint! They have amazing pancakes and sandwiches. Plus the most friendliest waitresses ever. If you want to feel like family – eat here.
- Loafin Bakery
- We just purchased some cupcakes and goodies from here yesterday. All I can say is “Yum…” They are already gone.
- Planet Goodness
- The BEST local grocery store. They carry organic produce, local milk, gluten free foods, local meats, and every day groceries. Super friendly owners and staff plus a great smoothie bar (I love the “Razzalicious”). We love going here, and you will too!
- Riverhouse Bath and Body
- When I was pregnant and couldn’t make soaps, I tried some of these amazing soaps! When we walked in, the lovely owner was super friendly and gave us some lotion and hand soap to try for FREE! That’s not easy to do as a small business owner, and I want to publicly thank her for her extreme generosity! You are awesome!
- Sincere Massage
- Michelle is always posting great information about massage therapy and has some awesome reviews!
- Sweet Treats by Jennifer Yeomans Christy
- I love seeing the amazing creations posted by Sweet Treats. My next bakery trip is here! She has open houses every Friday with delicious cupcakes!
- The Little Dabbler
- This awesome lady custom created a beautiful banner with my son’s name on it for his nursery. She also does invitations, other banners, and more! I was more than impressed by her.
- Twisted Thistle
- We love this restaurant for a night on the town. I always feel like I am at some restaurant in New York City! However, they use locally sourced produce and meats!