Last night I woke up with a HUGE bug bite on my arm! It is horribly itchy and bumpy. I’m guessing that it came from a mosquito as it has been very rainy and warm around this part of the country lately.
But, why do we swell and itch from these nasty bites?
Well, when a mosquito bites us, our bodies release histamines (yes, like those released during an allergic reaction). This is just your immune system’s response to the bite.
Our bodies often swell around the area of the bite, causing an itchy and often red bump (know as a “wheal”). This is simply inflamed tissue.
But the itching is enough to drive you mad! So what will work to alleviate some of this discomfort?
I got out my handy essential oil kit and began sifting through all of the possibilities, and here’s what I came up with:
- German Chamomile
- Relieves pain and inflammation, cools area, and helps skin to heal
- Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Relieves inflammation, extremely great skin healing properties
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Relieves pain and inflammation, safe oil for the young and elderly
- Peppermint (stops itching)
- Cools the skin, relieves itching and inflammation (PubMed study)
- Tea Tree
- Relieves itching (many studies have proven Tea Tree essential oil effective in this application)