This is definitely my newest favorite DIY.
I used to LOVE wearing lipstick until I learned that many lipsticks contain harmful ingredients like lead, parabens, and toxic dyes. Which is really scary, considering that you will likely ingest your lipstick in small quanities!
So for the past few years, I’ve gone lipstick free. Until now. I seriously just made the best DIY lipstick recipe EVER! It’s moisturizing, the perfect light tint of red, and can be made custom to whatever dark/lightness you prefer.
Plus it is SUPER cheap and frugal. I made 6 lipsticks for under $5. Beat that, Covergirl.
Okay, so on to the recipe.
What you’ll need:
- .3 oz (approx. 1.8 tsp) Beeswax (I used beeswax pellets like these ones)
- .6 oz (approx. 3.6 tsp) Cocoa Butter (Here’s a great unrefined cocoa butter)
- 1/8 to 1/2 tsp of Alkanet Root Powder depending on desired tint ( Local health food stores may have it, or you can get it here)
- Start by measuring out your ingredients
- Get a double boiler going (or simply place a heavy-duty glass container into a pot of boiling water like I’ve done here)
- Add in the beeswax and cocoa butter
- Stir them until they melt
- Take the mixture off the heat and begin stirring in the Alkanet Root Powder (1/8 tsp will give you a very light tint while 1/2 tsp will give you a much darker color).
- You’ll want to stir until everything is incorporated, but not too long or the mixture will solidify on you! I was stirring for approx. 8 minutes.
- Pour your mixture into lip balm tubes or any kind of container. I had enough for 6 full tubes and 1 half tube. You could even use old mint boxes for these.
- Let everything cool completely and then you are ready to use!
As with all cosmetics, make sure to use your lipstick within 1 year. After 1 year, throw any remaining product away.
That’s it! Just three ingredients for the best lipstick!