Let’s face it… holiday photo shoots are tough!
From what to wear to striking the best pose, nothing stresses me out more than getting a good holiday photo.
This year, I knew I needed help! Baby V is now 1.5 years old and busier than ever. How was I going to get him to be comfortable, cute, and stand still long enough.
That’s why I went to Maria from Awed Photography. She is amazing with children and is super helpful when it comes to planning for holiday photos.
See her answers to my top 4 questions about holiday photos and my outfit guide below.
Top 4 Holiday Photo Questions
- How do I choose an outfit? Should I stick with neutral colors?
- Every year for my personal family photos I like to choose a different color scheme. This year we did navy and light pink. In previous years we’ve done coral and light blue, and pink and brown. I love layering the colors in different ways so my husband, dog, and I all match. Neutral colors are great, but it makes the photos so much better if you add a little pop of color! This year my favorite colors are mustard yellow and burgundy. These colors go great with black or navy and will really make your photos stand out. I would love to start styling shoots as part of my business. I love picking out outfits to coordinate together for an awesome final look!
- What about location? How do I find one and what is your favorite location to shoot at?
- I love to shoot at places that are special to my clients. For example, a client just asked me to shoot a session on their property that they just purchased for their family. If a client doesn’t have a place like that in mind I suggest several different spots that are my go to places that I just love. My favorite spot is Mellon Park in Shadyside. It is a little hidden oasis in the middle of a bustling city. Harwood acres is always a top contender as well with its beautiful landscape. I also love to do urban shoots in the middle of the city for a completely different look. If you are looking for more of a country landscape I would definitely suggest Lingrow Farms.
- Let’s talk poses. How do I manage to look relaxed and happy without looking “posed”?
- I really like to make my clients feel comfortable as soon as I meet them. I love chatting with them to the point where I really understand the dynamic of their family. I feel like my clients truly feel at ease while I am with them so they feel like its just another family member with a camera taking pictures of them. We laugh, we dance, we jump up and down…whatever it takes to feel relaxed and get the best (natural) pictures possible!
- Do you have any tips or tricks to get the best poses?
- The trick is not to pose at all! I love the little moments that aren’t planned and just happen! My little clients are usually the tricky ones. I truly want to photograph them in their element. Squeaky toys are key!! (and lots of tickling!) There’s hardly a day that goes by where I don’t have parents singing, jumping up and down, or playing Elmo songs right on top of my head! But it works every time!!
Holiday Photo Outfit Guide
For our outfits, I wanted to keep things EASY. I actually bought TWO white shirts for Baby V because I was afraid one would get stained before we got there.
I’m a big fan of white, so I paired white with shades of red. For us, it turned out amazing!! Check out our pictures below and find where I got all the outfit pieces here:
Here are some of my favorites!