I was recently interviewed by one of my favorite bloggers and green activists, the Green Grandma. She asked me what made my soaps different from other soaps out there…
I told her that I use only essential oils, never any fragrance oils. Now, not everyone always understands why that fact is so important. So why do I only use essential oils?
Allow me to explain the difference between fragrance oils and essential oils and you’ll understand why.
The downside of fragrance oils:
- Fragrance oils are synthetic
- Fragrance oils may be composed of essential oils, chemicals, and resins
- Fragrance oils could contain: DPG (Di Propelyne Glycol), Di Ethyl Phthalate, isopropyl myristate, other types of phthalates, and/or other carcinogenic chemicals
- Fragrance oils are protected by the FDA as “trade secrets” – meaning that companies do not have to disclose all of the ingredients in the fragrance oil
- Fragrance oils lack the natural benefits of essential oils
For more information on which chemicals “may” be in your fragrance oil, check out the list on this wholesaler’s site: http://www.vigon.com/fragrance-ingredients.aspx
The upside of fragrance oils:
- Fragrance oils are cheap
- Fragrance oils maintain their scent in soaps really well
- Fragrance oils are easy to work with
- There are infinitely many combinations of fragrance oils, so that you can purchase any scent you want
Do you want to know what you’re putting on your skin? If you do, then don’t use a fragrance oil.
The downside of essential oils:
- Essential oils are expensive
- Essential oils can evaporate quickly in soaps and other cosmetics
- Essential oils can cause certain reactions in soaps (depending on acidity, chemical makeup and more)
The upside of essential oils:
- Essential oils are all natural (they are distilled from the leaves, stems, flowers, roots, and fruits of plants)
- Essential oils have natural therapeutic properties that can be utilized in soaps, lotions, natural perfumes, and diffusers
- Essential oils are researched, documented, and often come with a list of which organic compounds they contain (GC/MS data sheets)
- Essential oils are great for those whose skin would normally be irritated by products containing fragrance oils
- Many people who are unable to use commercial soaps have tried mine and report no reactions or irritations. I attribute this to the fact that their skin may be irritated by something in the fragrance of commercial soaps.
- Learn more about Fragrance Oils here
Most soap makers that I know use fragrance oils. They like the variety of scents, the ease of use, and the cheap price tag. However, at WWS, we NEVER use fragrance oils. It might make soap making more difficult, but having a product we can stand by.
The WWS difference:
- We buy pure, therapeutic grade essential oils.
- All scent combinations are blended by me, a certified aromatherapist. That means that all of our products are custom blended just for you!
- There are never any preservatives or unnatural additives in our soaps.
- Our soaps are vegan, all natural, and gentle on skin.
- We know every ingredient that goes into our products.